Conflict resolution at work: how to solve conflict and increase productivity
Conflict begins as a small, cancerous cell and will grow unchecked unless and until you take action to resolve it.
There are two principal approaches to conflict and conflict resolution management:
- an adversarial approach (telling people), usually involving administrative and legal action
- a consensual approach (influencing people) where the parties involved work together to solve the conflict.
The consensual approach to Conflict Resolution at work is far more likely to achieve a long-term, sustainable solution.
At the heart of consensual resolution of conflicts is the understanding that there is no absolute truth. There are only facts and perceptions. Individuals’ understanding (perception) of the truth is driven by their own experiences, values and beliefs.
Successful resolution requires:
- an understanding of the psychology of conflict
- an ability to build trust
- bracketing personal views and agendas to ensure impartiality
- the ability to engage honestly but empathetically with individuals
- guiding each party towards solutions without ‘solutioneering’.
Conflict Resolution at work is a key skill for leaders and managers. Many individuals within businesses and organisations are skilled in resolving conflict (although they may not recognise it) but others only compound it.
In many cases, resolving conflict may be too difficult, sensitive or time consuming for managers. In this case you should consider impartial, third party support.
Conflict resolution in the workplace using consensual techniques has a national success rate of 80-85%.
North Light Solutions can offer you advice and support with:
- Advice on resolving existing or potential conflict.
- Impartial 3rd party support to resolve conflict.
- Bar Council and Law Society accredited mediators.
- Training to prevent further recurrences of conflict.
Please don’t hesitate. Contact us to discuss how you can resolve brewing or actual conflicts in the workplace.